Blog Archive

Friday, October 12, 2018

Day Seventeen: Quite an Impression

Today is our day for a picnic in the country. We chose to go to a small country village famous for its water lilies. I think a pretty good painter once lived there too.
The day starts off with me walking to get the car except I misigured on where we had parked it. After an hour walk through Paris, I get back to the hotel and Linda shows me where it is via her phone. She actually trusts me with her phone to get there.

Now the parking garage gave me an access number when I reserved it online. But nowhere in the entrance or exit is there a keypad. There is a scanned that my phone does not quite fit into. so to leave or enter, I hit the call button , shout out my name, and the gates open.
I return to my hotel to pick up Linda, Mary Ann and Jessica for our picnic. Jessica has not had a good morning either as the subways were over crowded and not moving so she had to walk to our hotel with the bread and croissants for the day.

And strange are the ways directions work in a city. I would have thought that they would take us to the peripherique that runs around the city. (The google App pronounces this somewhat like Perry Perku ) Instead it took us through the heart of Paris during morning rush hour.  Fun driving except for the motorcycles and motorbikes. they love to weave in and out. We did get to see one motorcycle take off the mirror of a ladies car. And a close up look at the Arc de Triumph.



Now just beyond the Arc de Triumph is what Linda calls "The Circle of Death" basically a large car circle with no lanes or rules. I would wait till a large truck would block other cars so I could make my way around. Of course all the time dodging motor cycles and motor bikes.

Well we do make it to the countryside and the peace of a small country town. Did I mention that we literally drive through some farmers fields to get there. Part because of its remoteness and part because I don't follow the directions very well sometimes.

But arrive and decide to visit the Lillie Pond before picnicking. Some pictures from the place.

 Arc over what used to be the house's entrance.
 The Painter's cottage.
 Lillie Pond.
 Ditto
 Ditto
 Papyrus
 Picture within a picture.
 An idea for new bamboo fencing at my house.
 Lillie Pond.
 Ditto
 Ditto
 Flowers from the painter's garden.
Tourists lining up to take pictures.

Some of us are not feeling real good so the idea of a picnic is changed to get home so we can lay down and relax. And that is what we do. Sort of a spur of the Monet decision. We were glad we went there, and it made a great Impression on all of us.

We drive back to drop Jessica off. One more chance at "The Circle of Death" and we make it through. Dropping Jessica off reveals that she is staying just up from the hotel we stayed in a couple of times during other visits to Paris. Such a lively neighborhood.

We had plans to meet friends who live in Paris, but it turns out I would be the only one able to go. We were to meet on the steps of the Opera. But I never asked whether he meant new or old opera house. As it happens, the new Opera House is a short walk from our hotel, so I try that one. It is the right one, but I start at the side of the Opera House and it is not until I walk further,in a light rain, that I see the large Opera House, hundred's of people, a vibrant square, and my friends, Gaeton and Natalie. Gaeton is the brother of our good friend Natalie Trippeda is the USA.

We walk to what looks like a small nondescript Pizza Parlor on a side street. Very small with people sitting and eating Pizza. Then Gaeton says something to the waiter who  motions us to the store room. Once inside the store room, the door that looks like it goes to the freezer opens and I find myself inside a 1920's Speakeasy complete with 1920's music and bartenders dressed appropriately. Such fun. Video is dark but that is how it was.



 My friends Gaeton and Natalie
The three of us in the Speakeasy.

Gaeton tells me that it was just around the corner from here that Charlie Hebdo was murdered. Such a sad world we live in today because of random acts of violence. Tomorrow I may walk to the site to pay my homage to him.

After drinks, we walk to a restaurant whose theme is School days in France. Old school books and menus on test taking books. Ah the good old days. Gaeton and I have steak Tartar. Something I would only eat in France because of the freshness of their meat and how they raise their cows. It was great.we catch up on families and friends and have a wonderful evening together. We part as the rain starts to get heavier so it is very good that Gaeton booked places near my hotel.
I get home a little wetter but ready for sleep.

Good Night.




No comments:

Post a Comment