Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Amalfi June 10th

Travel day and we don't  go far, but it is worlds away from the destruction of Pompei.  One hour South is the Mediterranean Sea and the Amalfi Coast.
But I am getting ahead of myself. Last night we ate at Garum Restaurant named for the fish sauce Pompei is famous for.  OK you are thinking Asian fish sauce and ground up fish.  Well the spaghetti I had with Garum was some of the best spaghetti I have had.  Sorry Jilly.
So we get on the road around 9:30 with a stop for gas and AdBlu.  What the hell is AdBlu?  Turns out to be an additive Germans have for their diesel cars. The trouble light, telling me it was low,  came on in Paestum, so I figured I would have the gas station add some.  Sounds simple enough, except the filler port for it is hidden in the back of the car.  So unload all the suitcases and bags(and I don't mean any of the ladies traveling with me by that) and 20 liters and 25 Euros later we are on our way. Hey I hope I mentioned that Patty is our official packer and does a great job.
So on to Amalfi and the drive along the famous Amalfi Coast.  But the GPS decides instead to take a shortcut over the mountain instead of around it.  Great scenery, but not everyone's stomach was ready for that sort of trip in the morning.
We arrive around 11:30, unpack, admire the view and head into town for lunch on the Mediterranean.


View from our room with Amalfi in the background

 Downtown Amalfi






Lunch on the Med
 With their backs to the sea

 Sardines for me
Contentment

Patty, Kathy and Amanda want to get their feet wet in the Mediterranean Sea, so Mary Ann and I drop them off and instead of napping we drive to Ravello high above the sea and home to a famous music festival. We had been to Ravello years ago, and as the way with most things, it had changed. Or maybe its just that we had changed too. 

A nice drink and gelatto and walk around and we head back down the mountain, pick up the ladies, and back to the hotel to await our ride to dinner. I don't have to drive tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment